2012 Tri Kappa Tour of Homes Information
2012 Tour Dates:
Friday, October 12, 2012 - 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Tour Weekend Ticket Price:
Adults - $15.00
Children - $6
You may purchase tickets during Tour Weekend at Tour Headquarters:
Madison Presbyterian Church
202 Broadway Street
Madison, IN 47250
All advance sales tickets will be available for pick-up at Tour Headquarters.
Tickets are good all three days of the Tour Weekend.
*Tickets are non-refundable.
For more information, contact Tour Tri-Chair, Nadja Boone at
2012 Featured Homes
Goebel Law Office
Tony and Crystal Goebel
This beautifully renovated Greek revival style home with Italianate influences was built in 1860 and currently owned by Crystal and Tony Goebel. The former owner Rolla Doolittle was the owner, editor and publisher of The Courier and Constitutional Advocate, now known as The Madison Courier. Crystal and Tony purchased the property in early 2012 and Mr. Goebel operates his law office in the downstairs of the home. The couple uses the remainder of the home as a weekend retreat.
Mike and Lisa Gray
This home was purchased in 2004 because of the homeowner’s love of historic homes and their detailed architecture. The house was built in the 1840’s and continued to be added onto every few decades with the major expansion being done in the 1860’s. Each addition being more elaborate than previously since homeowner’s had to wait until their finances afforded them to expand. At one time the Second Street residence was the Mayfield Nursing Home. One of the most unusual aspects of the décor of the home is that there are several HH Meyer murals throughout including twelve located in the kitchen. Lovely landscapes are often depicted with creeks and castles making many believe these landscapes are not of local places.
Riverview Road, Hanover
This lovely ranch style home was built in 1968 as part of a development that featured views of the Ohio River. With the magnificent view friends are able to sit on the deck and watch the river boats pass by. As you walk inside the owner has created a piece of Americana with the treasures she collects and family heirlooms that have been handed down. The homeowner is known for her wonderful art collection that includes state, regional and local artisans. She brings the past and the present together along with the Ohio River view throughout the house and her décor. This is Ms. Kiffmeyer’s second time being on the tour, the first time with a different home.
Andy and Amber Lynch
This classic federal style home was built between 1839 and 1844 for Howard Watts, a local physician. The home has had several owners over the years and for a time the upstairs was a rental unit. In 1987 Dr. Douglas and Ann Grahn purchased the home and proceeded with renovations. All of the original construction remains intact except the side gallery which was completely rebuilt in 1990 following the original design. There are six fireplaces with five of those being functional and all of the flooring is the original yellow poplar. The staircase and the mantels in the home are the original woodwork and unlike most Federal style homes this home is wider along with a wider entryway and hallway. The Lynch’s acquired the home in March 2011 and have added some modern conveniences to the property.
Leon and Gerry Michl
Shamrock Lane is named in honor of the Irish who built the stone retaining wall at the corner of First and East Streets. 201 East and 202 Shamrock are the two houses that sit on this elevated property. After entering the iron gates from Shamrock Lane the guest cottage which is formerly known as River Cottage is the first home on the site. The producer and writer of the movie “Madison” stayed in the cottage during the summer the movie was filmed. Many of the stars of this movie spent time here relaxing and partying in “Hog Heaven”, a very special outdoor kitchen.
The main house was the boyhood home of the Madison author David Graham Phillips. He wrote many novels as well as political articles at the turn of the last century. Both houses date circa 1840’s. The property was purchased in 1986 and underwent a major renovation by Dr. Leon Michl and his wife Gerry, who owned and operated an architectural salvage business. There are many different features added by the Michl’s such as a cooking hearth in the kitchen. A short walk down Shamrock Lane will prove to be a unique experience with many surprises such as privacy, green space and insights to the past. We welcome you to this secret part of Madison, one block from the Ohio River.
Michael and Linda Pittman
This beautiful federal style home purchased by Michael and Linda Pittman in 1996 has undergone extensive renovation and is believed to be built prior to 1830. The land is thought to have once been owned by the famous Lanier family. Originally the home had an outside staircase attached to it which makes some believe that it might at one time have been a tavern. With the help of local artists and craftsmen the Pittman’s fully restored the front of the home while the back is new construction. Many of the windows as well as other features of the home are original. The two story porch was reconstructed base on columns found in the cellar during clean up. The cellar also contains the original poplar floor timbers. In 2000 while filming the movie “Madison”, “Passion of the Christ” star Jim Caviezel stayed in the home for three months. Mr. Pittman was a recipient of a Tri Kappa scholarship as a young man which makes this home being on the Tri Kappa Tour even more special.
This Italianate style home was built in the mid to late 1800’s. Records show it was once the home of Lydia Middleton who purchased the property in 1885. “Miss Lydia” was a teacher and principal at the Old Lower Seminary on West Main Street for thirty five years. She retired in 1917 and the seminary was razed. In 1923 a new structure was completed and dedicated in her honor as the Lydia Middleton Elementary School. This home was remodeled extensively both inside and out by the previous owners. Rick Reckner, director of the show choir “ESPRIT” at Southwestern Middle and High School, became the owner in June of 2008. It seems only fitting for this home to once again be owned by a local educator.
Notice the bracketed cornices near the roof, the columned front porch and the large lower level windows. These are three features found in many Italianate style homes constructed in this period. Greg Truesdell, a graduate of Madison Consolidated High School designed the interior of the home. It includes an Asian influence with the unique use of color and restored hardwood flooring. Original works of art by Greg are throughout the home.
Historic Madison, Inc. - John Stacier
The Shrewsbury-Windle House was built 1846 – 1849 for Captain Charles L. Shrewsbury and his family. The house was designed by Francis Costigan in the classic revival sytle. Francis Costigan was Indiana’s most celebrated pre-Civil War architect and master builder. He designed other Madison buildings including the J.F.D. Lanier Mansion and the Francis Costigan House. The property is celebrated by generations of architects and lovers of old buildings for its ornate carved stone work and moldings, twelve foot tall doors and sixteen foot high ceilings. The Shrewsbury-Windle House is a property of Historic Madison, Inc., a local non-profit historic preservation organization.