The Stoner home is a craftsman style home built in 1908 and owned by Carole Stoner and the late John Stoner. They purchased the home in 2006 and completed extensive renovations of both the interior and the yard. They gave up living at their farm for city life, but you will see many mementos from the farm. They are also patrons of many community local artists. Highlights of the home include a restored original claw foot tub, the original trim work and a newly added skylight.
As a bonus you will also get to tour Carole’s Cottage which shares a back yard to the Stoner home. This house was recently purchased and will be available to rent for getaway weekends. A highlight of this property is the smokehouse in the back yard. It is the oldest smokehouse known in Madison.
Don and Jill Wiest purchased the Hibbs-Mersdorff-Wiest house at 310 W Third Street in 2008. It is classic Federal structure located on a long and narrow lot, which is typical in Madison. Originally a frame house was built on the lot in the 1830’s and in 1840 Hamilton Hibbs purchased the property. Mr. Hibbs was a carpenter and a staunch supporter of his next door neighbor Senator Jesse Bright who held strong southern sympathies. In the 1850’s, Hibbs attached a double-brick walled two-story front onto the frame house. The new structure had four fireplaces, stone window caps and a front that was flush to the sidewalk. Only its Italianate box gutters (circa 1870) and its 9 foot Victorian front door (circa 1890) pay homage to “modernization” of the home’s exterior prior to 1900. For many years the home was known as the Mersdorff house as that family purchased it in 1896 and owned it for over 90 years.
A 1990’s addition to the back of the home removed the remaining frame structure, replacing it with a kitchen and an upstairs master bedroom and bath. Since purchasing the home, the Wiest’s have added a family room with fireplace on the first floor; an upstairs office; a covered back porch; and a Federal style outbuilding. They also remodeled the 1920’s upstairs bathroom. This year, they have remodeled the kitchen, replacing the cabinets with handmade bead-board cherry cabinets and have attempted to remain true to the house’s 160 year old heritage by ensuring that changes to the home compliments and preserves its Federal style.
The Wiest’s family heirlooms and antiques have been collected for over 40 years. They collect Kitchenalia which is cooking equipment and other items found in a kitchen and enjoy Madison memorabilia. They look forward to your visit.
3. Gallery 115
Becky Anderson & Karen Holland, Head Hostesses
Eric Phagan, Owner
115 Main St.
Gallery 115 is a classy building set in the heart of downtown Madison that encompasses several businesses under one roof. It is the home to Gallery Café which has baked good and lunch items, Eric Phagan Art Studio/Gallery and “W” of Madison Gifts. Gallery 115 also houses a meeting room and a guest suite that can be rented out for most any occasion.
On any given Fourth Friday in Madison you will find Eric Phagan who is also the art teacher for the Madison Junior High School with many of his students painting on a mural on the outside of his building.
This Victorian home with Italianate influences was designed by C.F. Sparrell and built for John I. Ross and his wife Blanche in 1889. John Ross was a clerk at the First National Bank in Madison. It passed into the hands of the Bright family before being purchased in 1954 by Rita Hammond, eventually becoming the Hammond Tourist Home. Don and Joyce Wells purchased the home in 2004 when they retired to Madison to be closer to family. The home has most of the original windows, two sets of wood pocket doors, a non-functioning gas lamp in an upstairs bedroom and original heart of yellow poplar floors on the first floor. A cistern was discovered by Mr. and Mrs. Wells while enlarging the back porch using the original specifications. The house is decorated with family antiques including artwork from four generations. Don and Joyce each have their own parlor; Joyce’s reflects her farm heritage while Don’s reflects his love of hunting, fishing, and bicycling.
Please view the beautiful Madison Magnolia Cottage next door, it is delightful!
This Queen Anne Eastlake Victorian home with its 18 inch brick walls was built in 1891 with John Kirk being the first owner. The home features eight original coal burning fireplaces with their original faux marble paint. Please notice the original faux burled walnut doors, including a double set of entrance doors, pressed wood moldings, baseboards and Douglas Fir floors original to the home. The 4,000 square feet of living area in this home sits over a stack stone basement. The large window in the living room was most likely used for air ventilation. The stain glass hanging in the living room was bought at a local auction and came from Germany. The Lincrusta wall covering in the entry is a deeply embossed wall covering and the first washable of its time and the brainchild of inventor Frederick Walton who earlier patented linoleum flooring. The sketch of the home in the living room is by Laura Cole.
This lovely Baltimore Row House is one of three built circa 1838 and was once owned by former Mayor of Louisville Charles Farnsley. Historic Madison, Inc. received an easement to the façade from the Farnsley family in 1984, giving the organization authority to oversee any further changes to the façade. The walls which are 22” thick are made of rubble, small stones set together in mortar. Forms were fabricated and filled with the rubble and mortar, tamped and pounded to remove air bubbles. The surface of the front façade was given a smooth coat of stucco and then marked with a trowel to imitate cut stone. The Murray’s have lovingly been restoring the home while keeping many features including the back stairs with their worn tread markings of the many people who have climbed the stairs while living in this home. Other great features of the home are the gaslights that are original as well as the five fireplaces that are all connected to one chimney. The floors in the living room and dining room are the original chestnut and the upstairs are the original poplar. The front stairs had been moved in 1880 from one side to the other for some unknown reason. The Murray’s have many family heirlooms throughout the house including her mother’s needlepoint tapestry as well as Mr. Murray’s great grandfather’s walking stick which is dated March 8th, 1890 and Mr. Murray’s coronet which he played in this High School band in Iowa.
Interesting things to note: in the master bedroom there is section of unfinished plaster frame which displays the signature of Fred Bidford from 1918, the person who hung the paper and Mrs. Murray’s grandmother’s wedding dress in the front bedroom which is displayed on her mother’s dressmaker’s form and grandmother’s locket.
The Seifert & Short Museum is located in the Greiner House which was built in 1829-30. The building has served many purposes through the years: the Radical Methodist Church, Madison High School, Adath Synagogue, the phone company garage, an art studio and a private home. It is of Greek Revival in style and in the center a garage with a working Macton automobile turntable. The rooms around the garage features cherry wood cabinetry, a spiral staircase, a two story gallery with a 24’ arched ceiling and in-floor hydronic heating.
In the upstairs gallery is the Seifert & Short Christmas exhibit featuring over 800 crèches and nativities from around the world, over 800 Santa figurines and a smaller collection of snow people and Christmas trees. A twelve foot Christmas tree with over 500 ornaments representing the Seiferts and their world travels has also made it to the second floor. In the lower gallery there are over 1000 folk art and folk doll pieces from various countries.
Increased stability after the Civil War brought renewed industry to Madison including this well-known saddletree factory which made wooden saddletrees for 94 years. John Benedict “Ben” Schroeder, a German immigrant, started his business in a small brick workshop in 1878. After his death, Ben’s family kept his dream alive by adding stirrups, hames for horse collars, clothespins, lawn furniture and even work gloves to their line of saddletrees. This factory crafted tens of thousands of wooden frames for saddle makers throughout the United States and Latin America. It was the nation’s longest lasting, continually operated, family owned saddletree company. The factory closed in 1972 and was left completely intact and in 2002, the building became the Ben Schroeder Saddletree Factory Museum where visitors can learn about making of saddletrees and the importance of industrial heritage in Madison. It stands suspended in time and on the Indiana National Register Historic District.